It is not hard to find a WordPress theme framework. There are both free and paid ones. But why it is better to use a WP framework instead of a simple theme? I think their power come from their flexibility and that the can offer much more options for customization. Beginner users as well as developers can make great looking themes for websites. Personally, I have been using Genesis framework – with child themes – for many years now and I enjoy its great possibilities that help me to create any sort of sites with different features and layout.
Within this post I would like to give you some info on the most popular frameworks. Check out the WordPress theme framework comparison below.
It is definitely one of those themes that are mostly used and suggested. It comes with tons of features to change the layout of the site and on top of that, it is really easy to use. With some practice great looking websites can be made with this theme from simple ones to most complex ones. Another thing that must be mentioned is that it is really SEO friendly. Last, but not least since it is on the market for many years now there tons of tutorials and a huge support forum.
Video About Thesis
This is another popular WordPress theme framework. As it was mentioned I use Genesis framework for many years now and what I like about this theme is that it really light coded, comes with quite a lot of plugins that help with customization, SEO etc. and I must say that their support forum is also a really good one. Plus ,they offer many great looking child themes as well. Genesis for WordPress is my favorite solution to build websites.
It is a collection of CCS files that allow us to build sites simply that are compatible with ll the known browsers as well mobile devices. It comes with many built in features like easy to modify typography, buttons, forms and many others. It is simple and free.
This is another highly-customizable WordPress theme framework that comes with features that makes WordPress theme development really easy and fast. What makes it different from the others is that it comes with really clean code. You can even download it for free.
- A completely Free and Open Source framework
- Reduces WordPress development time
- Multi-lingual compatible
- Built with Less Framework and CSS3 for an instant mobile website
- Comes with a minimalist design to build off of, but easy to remove to build from scratch
- Strong and flexible div structure
- Lightweight and well-noted code
- Strong Search Engine Optimization
- Compatible with WordPress 3.0 and up with fallbacks for older versions of WordPress
- More dynamic Classes and IDs than any other WordPress framework
- Supports many awesome WordPress features such as manageable menus, background, and header image as well as featured images, several widget areas, and more
- Follows the Web Accessibility Initiative
- HTML5 with graceful degradation
- CSS3 Animations with graceful degradation
- Follows WordPress’ CSS Coding Standards
- Cross browser compatible
Standard WordPress Theme Framework
An easy to use WordPress theme framework that allows us to build any sort of sites easily. This theme supports 3.1 formats, comes with an extremely powerful admin panel that allows the management of framework options, navigation options, ads, comment and sharing options and many more.
Buffet WP Framework
It come with a minimalist design so it is good starting point for developers who want to create child themes.
- Search Engine Optimization – includes many SEO features such as breadcrumbs, headings, canonical URLs
- Support for Microformats – compatible with some of the microformats like hAtom, hCard and XOXO
- jQuery Powered – comments form validation, SuperSleight for IE6, Superfish menus, jBreadcrumb included
- Packaged with CSS Frameworks – comes with 960gs and Blueprint CSS
- Action & Filter Hooks - using the parent-child theme concept (with inline documentation)
- Theme Options – organized in tabs, with features such as custom RSS feed links and custom footer messages
- Theme Extensions – allow end-users to enable/disable features using the extensions feature
- Plugin Compatibility – works with WP-PageNavi, WP-Print, Subscribe to Comments and more
- Localization – fully localized, ready for translation
- Free, Open Source – under the General Public License (GPL) v3
Catalyst Premium Framework
This theme comes with the most built-in features to build your site, what it makes it unique is that it comes with more that 800 design options, so in the hand of a creative user great looking websites can be made. If you need an incredible customizable them you should try this one.
I think it is the best WordPress drag and drop framework. It is maybe the most simple to use WordPress theme framework that offers great options for beginner users as well as developers. it comes with a great design editors that lets you to changes the layout, colors etc. simply. It also supports the latest standards like HTML 5, CCS3 etc.
As you can see above there are a lot of ways to build great looking and optimized WordPress sites. No matter which WordPress theme framework you choose above, you can build a site you will want.