As WordPress is one of the most popular CMS, and it is used on a great amount of sites, it is one of the first aim of hackers and malicious software coders. So to make WordPress secure as possible is a crucial. It is so true that prevention is better than cure.
If you site is infected, you will surely lose traffic and most importantly the trust of the visitors. There are many sorts of infections from the simplest ones that
can be removed easily, to more complex ones that are extremely hard to remove. Hackers use the weak points of WordPress and the plugins.
Here, I would like to give you some tips about how to make WordPress secure to prevent infections and hacker attacks.
- Always update WordPress and Plugins – To prevent the mention problems the WP and plugins developers always update their software to fix the weak points. Therefore, always update.
- Backup regularly – Backing up is crucial in order to restore in case you are infected. I suggest you to choose a hosting provider that allow automatic backup.
- Sign Up for Google Webmaster Tools – If you add your site to this service you can get a warning if some sort of problems occurs on your site, so you can take steps immediately.
- Go with Trusted Hosting – Sometimes being infected is not your fault, but your hosting provider’s, but the good providers solve this fast.
- Use WordPress Secure Plugins – These tools help to monitor your files and changes, state of your system. It suggest checking for this purpose the following plugins: Secure WordPress, WordPress Firewall, WordPress File Monitor Plus
- One Time FTP Connection – Some cases hackers use a virus on your PC that sends the FTP connection details to them, and with that they have full access to your site. So, I always set up a fresh FTP connection and as soon as I do not need I delete it from cPanel as well as from my FTP software.
- Delete Unused Plugins and Scripts – If you do not use a theme, plugin or other script any more delete it. It may be a weak point of your system.
- Check Your Site Regularly – Fortunately, there are some online checkers that not only tell you if your site is infected or not, but the parts that must be repaired for prevention. Good ones are sucuri.net, unmaskparasites.com
- Never Use Software from Untrusted Places – Sometimes you can find plugins and other scripts on smaller forums, on blogs etc. that may look useful, but always keep in mind that they may be harmful. Check them before uploading.
- Use Powerful Antivirus on Your PC – Though it is not typically connect to make WordPress secure, but if you work with websites using a good firewall and antivirus is a must.
Some Useful Videos for Securing WordPress
You May Find Useful
- 5 WordPress Security Threats You Probably Don’t Know About … – Written by Tom Ewer on November 8th, 2012. 5 WordPress Security Threats You Probably Don’t Know About. When it comes to my online activity, security is something I have always been fairly conscious of. But in my opinion, making sure that …
- WordPress Security: 7 WordPress Gurus Revealed Their Best Tip – Worried about WordPress security? Find out how WordPress Gurus secure their own and clients websites.
- What are the best wordpress security plugins to … – Nov 10, 2012 · Resolved Question; Chris Member since: 29 April 2012 Total points: 800 (Level 2) Add Contact; … I have suggest few wordpress security …
Do you know other tips and tools to make WordPress secure? Please, share with us!